Windows users might have been familiar with Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) error. In this error, the monitor turns blue and the system freezes. There is nothing we can do during this error, but press the restart button while praying that the error might go away after the restart. You might be wondering what cause this BSOD error. Actually, there is an error message when this problem happens to your Windows PC. You will see Critical_Process_Died windows 10. Thus, we will learn how to fix Critical Process Died Error in Windows 10 in this article.
The cause of BSOD critical process died error can be various due to the differences software and hardware of every PC. But basically, it happens when the system detects adjustment on the important component of Windows that it should not happen. It could include the memory error, bad driver, power supply problems, overheating, and overclocking, etc.
This error is quite annoying. It occurs when the users are working on the PC. Fortunately, we have several solution to fix critical process died error on Windows 10 along with the reason why it happens. Check on the solutions on the next section.
- Windows 10 Black Screen With Cursor : How To Fix
- Take Screenshot of Windows 10
- Kernel Security Check Failure Windows 10 Error
Types of “Critical Process Died” Error in Windows 10
There are several examples where Windows 10 critical process died error may occur on Windows 10. And these guides will help you to fix this problem in the following situations:
1. Critical Process Died after sleep:
This error occurs when users use their pc from sleep. Due to this problem, they cannot use their device to resume their work.
2. Critical Process Died after update:
This problem occurs after a user installs any update on windows 10 pc. So basically this error occur on upgradation.
3. Critical Process Died after installing Update from creators:
Many users are facing this error after upgrading the creator’s upgrade. On the other hand, some user does not get this error when they upgrade their programme.
4. Critical Process Died after login:
In some of the windows pc, when a user types their username and password to log-in into the pc, after 3 seconds they get this error with an appearance of the blue screen.
5. Critical Process Died on Surface Pro 4:
This error also occurs in Surface devices, too.
6. Windows 10 critical process died loop:
This error triggered reboot loops in windows 10, and prevent users from using their PCs.
7. Critical Process Died after overclock:
For enhancing the gaming experience; you decide to overclock your PC then this change may trigger BSOD problems
8. Critical Process Died Unexpected Store Exception:
This error occurs in a rare case, but yes, when it occurs it is a severe problem.
9. Critical Process Died while gaming:
During playing a game, this error affects the progressive game, and all gamers are familiar with it.
10. Critical Process Died Server 2012 r2:
You can get this error on Windows Server 2012 R2. Man user is getting this error on it; you are not only one!
11. Critical Process Died on start-up:
Many users report this problem at the moment the boot up their windows pc. The error appears on the screen, a few seconds after user press the power button and before the login box appears.
12. Critical Process Died in Toshiba, Lenovo, Asus, and Dell:
This error affects all windows devices, regardless of manufacturer. Though, it occurs quite rarely on HP computers.
So all the listed above are an occurrence of critical process died error and following are the troubleshooting steps of critical process died windows 10 fix. So keep reading!
How To Fix Critical Process Died Error on Windows 10
Solution 1: Run an SFC scan
Running an SFC scan is one of the highly used solutions for most of the Windows-related problems, but not every time it works. Though in this case, it may be helpful because run an SFC scan is repair system files and the changed and corrupted system is the reason of this error so to follow this solution, do as given below:
- First, right-click on the Start Menu button, and choose Admin or Command Prompt Admin.
- After entering sfc/scannow and press enter.
- Now, wait for few minutes until the process finishes.
- Now restart the computer.
On restarting check the ‘Critical process died’ error still causes windows 10 blue screen critical process died of a desktop. If yes, then try the next solution.
Solution 2: Run a full system antivirus scan
Your system files can also change due to malicious software. It may occur due to spyware, adware, dangerous virus, etc. any of these can damage your files.
So running an SFC scan didn’t help in BSOD then run a full system scan with antivirus to detect the malware and remove it. For it, you can also use the third party antivirus as well as Windows Defender or Windows’ built-in antivirus. Here is a list of antivirus software for windows.
To run a full system scan on windows 10, follow the steps given below:
- First, go to the start menu and type defender. In a showed result double click on the windows defender.
- After that, on the left side, you will find shield icon, click on it.
- So you will redirect to new window, where you have to select the advanced scan option
- Check this option to run a full system malware scan.
Solution 3: Run System Restore
It is the last solution in our list of Windows 10 critical process died fix. If the problem started recently, then run System Restore. If this problem occurred after you installed new software on pc then, this method helps you to delete recently added programs and apps.
This option permits you to restore the well-performing previous system configuration without losing any files, but you will lose a few settings and customizable features.
Windows 10 offers a series of excellent recovery option that let users clean install the Operating System. So to remove critical process died error in windows 10, you can also use ‘Reset this PC’ recovery option.
- First go to Settings, in this option you have to click on Update & Security, and inside this, on the left side, you will find Recovery option.
- Now, under Reset this PC option click on Get Started >>choose to Keep your files.
- Now obey the on-screen instructions to complete the rest of the process.
Solution 4: Uninstall the latest updates
Some user says that due to latest windows update this problem is triggered. And yes it is a serious problem since windows are run on updates, and some updates are necessary to run system normally. If you want to delete cumulative, then you can do it. Also, you can hide it in windows 10.
Here are the steps to uninstall Windows updates:
- Go to start menu and type Settings. In that go to Windows Update and select the Update history tab.
- Next, go to Uninstall Updates
- You can also Select the update(s) that you want to uninstall by simply click on uninstall button.
Note: Cumulative updates contain all previously released updates. When Microsoft announces a new cumulative update, and you download it, then you will also receive an update, but due to a blue screen of a desktop, you had to uninstall it.
Solution 5: Clean boot your computer
A clean boot of computer starts using a simple set of drivers and start-up programs to remove software clash that may occur when you update or install or launch a program in a window.
To clean boot your Windows 10 computer, follow the steps given below:
- Go to search bar and type System Configuration and press enter.
- On the Services tab, select on Hide all Microsoft services check box and click Disable all and then click on an ok tab.
- Again go to Startup tab and search Task Manager and to open click on it.
- Now go to select all items and click on the Disable tab and close the task manager.
- Now again go to start-up tab and type of the System Configuration dialog box, click on ok and restart your computer.
Solution 6: Check your disk for errors
You can run a disk check on Windows 10, using Command Prompt.
As an administrator, start Command Prompt and to stop code critical process died enter the chkdsk C: /f command and press enter. Here you have to replace C with the letter of your hard drive.
For a quick reminder let me tell you, if you do not use the /f command, then chkdsk displays a message that said that the file needs to fixed, it does not fix any errors. This command that is chkdsk D: /f detects and repairs logical problems that affecting your drive. If you want to repair physical problems then also run the chkdsk D: /r parameter.
Solution 7: Download the latest driver updates
Drivers that wrongly use memory or bad drivers may also cause the Critical process died error in Windows 10. To do that go to Device Manager, and make sure that all drivers are absolutely up to date, and compatible with Windows 10.
Important driver updates, like sound card drivers or graphics card, also launch through Windows Update and hence to update all these drives is necessary. But one by one updating is annoying, so we recommend you to using third part update software or windows update.
Solution 8: Run DISM to fix Windows 10’s system image
- As an administrator, open Command Prompt and type the command: DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Now press the Enter key to run the command.
- Wait until it performs the scan. Most of the time it takes up to 10 minutes to complete the process, but sometimes it also takes more than this.
- From the progress bar, you can show that the process is stuck at 20%, do not irritate, it is completely normal, just you have to be more patient. Once the scan completed, restart your pc.
Along with above, you can try the following method, too.
- First, mount your Windows 10 .iso file by double-clicking on it.
- And as an administrator, open Command Prompt or PowerShell.
- Now, check for system condition by running these commands:
dism /online /cleanup-image /scanhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /checkhealth
dism /online /cleanup-image /restorehealth
- Run this parameter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /source:WIM:X:SourcesInstall.wim:1 /LimitAccess
- In this change X with the letter of your drive partition, where your Windows 10 ISO is mounted.
Those were the solutions to fix Critical process died error on Windows 10 when the BSOD error occurs. Hope it can get rid of the problem and your PC can work smoothly again. If you still encounter the same error, you can contact the Microsoft support to help you with it.
For queries or suggestions, feel free to drop in the comments section. We will do our best to give a quick respond. Thank you for reading, Folks!
- Windows 10 Screensaver: How to Customize Screensaver
- DPC Watchdog Violation Windows 10
- Page_fault_in_nonpaged_area errors in Windows 10