“COM Surrogate has stopped working” error shows up on the Windows 10 out of nowhere has confused many Windows users. It turns out that this error occurs when they browse folder with video/media files inside or try to print. If you don’t know, COM Surrogate is the executable host process (dllhost.exe) that runs on the background while you are browsing files or folders. You should not worry about this error as it can be fixed easily.
- Vcruntime140.dll missing, program can’t start on Windows 10
- What is XINPUT1_3.dll (and What to Do When It’s Missing)
- Easy Methods to Fix MSVCP140.dll is Missing Error
2 Methods to Fix “COM Surrogate(dllhost.exe) has stopped working” error on Windows 10
Note: If you meet the error on Windows 7, the solutions here also can help you.
Solution 1. Roll-back your video driver
1 ) Press Windows key + X key together to open quick-access menu. Then click Device Manager to open it.
2) Find and expand Display adapters dialog. Right-click on your display adapter driver and choose Properties.
3) Choose to view on Driver pane. Then click Roll Back Driver.
Solution 2. Add dllhost.exe to the DEP Exception
1) Press Windows key + R key together to open Run box. Type control in the box and click OK to open Control Panel.
2) Click System when View by Large or Small icons. Then click Advanced system settings on the pop-up window.
3) Click Settings under Performance dialog.
4) Tick on Turn on DEP for all programs and services except those I select: under Data Execution Prevention pane. Then head to C:WindowsSysWOW64 or System32(base on your system).
Note: If you are not sure your system type, open a Run box and enter msinfo32 to open your System Information Panel, then you can check it.
5) Scroll down to find and double-click on dllhost.
6) Click Apply > OK to save settings.
- Windows 10 settings won’t open ?
- Fixing We can’t find your camera in Windows 10
- Windows 10 Screensaver not working
That’s it. Hopefully the methods above can help you resolve the problem.
Any questions please feel free to leave your comment below, thanks.