If the touchpad of your Dell laptop does not work correctly due to faulty drivers, updating drivers can fix the problem. Driver status can be checked in Device Manager. There are 3 ways you can use to update the driver in Windows 7. Note it is very important to download and install the right driver, as faulty driver may cause problems.
Follow these steps:
1. Open Device Manager.
2. Expand categories and locate the touchpad device. Usually, the device is listed under category “Mice and other pointing devices”. If the device is not recognized by PC, you may find it under category “Other devices”.
3. Right-click on the device and select Update Driver Software…
4. Select Search automatically for updated driver software. Then Windows will load the driver automatically.
If Windows fails to update the driver, proceed to other 2 ways.
Before you get started, ensure that you know the laptop model and the specific system that you are using (Windows 7 32-bit or Windows 7 64-bit).
1. Open your favourite browser and type “PC model+driver download”. Let’s take Dell Vostro 3460 for example.
2. The Dell driver download link will be listed on top of the result list. Click on it and you will be directed to the driver download page for your PC model.
3. Click “Find it myself” and change OS to the one that your are using.
4. Expand category “Mouse, Keyboard & Input Devices”. You will find Touchpad Driver under this category. It is recommended to download the latest version.
If you can’t find Windows 7 driver on the website, download the driver for Vista, which is always compatible with Windows 7.
After download completes, you can install the driver by just double-clicking on the setup file (.exe file) and follow the on-screen instructions to install the driver.
Downloading drivers manually can take forever. And it is possible that you don’t find the right driver version after spending hours on it. To fix Dell touchpad driver problem in Windows 7 more quickly, you can consider using Driver Easy, which can scan your computer and detect all problem drivers, then give you a list of new drivers. To download the driver, all you need to do is click your mouse 2 times. Click here to download Driver Easy now.
Driver Easy has Free version and Professional version. Both versions can be used to download drivers automatically. But with Professional version, you can even update all drivers with 1 click. No time is wasted. More importantly, you will enjoy Free technical support guarantee and money-back guarantee. You can ask for further assistance regarding your touchpad not working problem. And you can ask for a full refund for any reason.
1. Click Scan Now button. Driver Easy will scan your computer within 20 seconds then you will get a list of new driver immediately.
2. Click Update All button. Then all drivers will be downloaded in high download speed and installed automatically.