Have ever tried to access your file and see an error Windows cannot access the specified device, path, or file instead? It happens because you might not get the permissions to access the file. Here are some steps you can do to fix the error.
Try the method 1 in the first place. If it doesn’t work, you can try other methods until you fix the error.
- ‘No device drivers were found’ when installing Windows 7
- How To Fix “Access Denied” File and Folder Errors on Windows
- Windows Hello isn’t available on this device on Windows 10
Solutions To Fix Windows Cannot Access the Specified Device Path or File Error
Method 1: Check the permission of the file or folder you want to open
If you don’t have permission to access the file or folder, you would encounter this error. So check what you can do with the file or folder. Before that, please make sure you’ve loginned to you computer as an administrator.
You can follow these steps to check the permission.
1. Right-click on the file or folder that you wish to open and select Properties.
2. Click Security tab. Under Group or user names, select your name then click Edit button.
3. Under Group or user names, select your name. Then under Permissions for Camilla, in Allow column, check the checkbox next to the Permission you wish to have (For example, if you want to Modify the file or folder, check the checkbox next to it). If you are not sure which Permission you should select, check all boxes.
Note if all boxes are grayed out with tick in it, it means the permissions are enabled. In this case, this method doesn’t work for you, move on the next method
Method 2: Make sure the file location is available
If you’re opening the file or folder through their shortcut, It’s possible that location is not available especially when the file or folder were saved in a networked or a removable drive.
Follow steps below to check for it.
1. Right-click on the shortcut and select Properties.
2. Click Shortcut tab. Then you’ll see the target location is available or not.
Method 3: Check if the file or folder has been removed
It’s also possible the file has been removed if you’re opening the file or folder through shortcut. You can get the location of the file following Method 2. If the location is available, browse to that location and check if the file or folder is in that location.
Method 4: Disable or uninstall any antivirus software
This error may occur if the antivirus software blocks the file or the folder. If you have installed any antivirus software, try to disable or uninstall them and see if the problem resolves.
Method 5: Recover the data
Data corruption can be the cause of the error. If above methods don’t resolve the problem, try to recover the data in the file or the folder.
To recover the data, you can use a data recovery software. If you know little about these kind of software, we recommend using Wondershare Data Recovery, a well-known trusted data recovery tool which allows you to recover the data with a few mouse-clicks.
- ASUS MB168B Driver Download for Windows 10, 7 & 8
- Install Marvell Avastar Wireless-AC Network Controller Driver on Surface
- How To Fix No Sound on Windows 10
Hope you have the problem resolved with these methods.
If you have any questions, please leave your comment below. I’d love to answer your questions. Thank you for reading, Folks!