Windows 10 users have reported to have problems with their Atheros Bluetooth driver on and off for months since the upgrade. When Bluetooth driver is sloppy, your Bluetooth devices, wireless mouse, wireless keyboard, wireless headphone, are not working properly.
Just relax, this is a very easy problem to solve. Just follow the instructions below to get it done!
Option One: Install Update for Windows 10 Insider Preview (KB3061161)
Option Two: Update Bluetooth Driver Manually
Option Three: Reinstall Bluetooth Driver Manually
Option Four: Update Bluetooth Driver Automatically (Recommended)
On Windows 10 forum, one of the technicians said that this problem is with Windows 10. So to fix this problem, it is suggested that you update one of Windows update package, KB3061161, to help fix your Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth driver error.
KB3061161 is auto updated via Windows Update. So you can follow the path: Start button > Settings > Update & security.
Then choose Update history.
Scroll down to see if you can find the KB3061161. It should be a rather old update, so it might cost you some time to locate.
If you don’t see such an update, don’t freak out, just go to Microsoft and get in downloaded and installed, and you will be fine.
Option Two: Update Bluetooth Driver Manually
Note: You can of course download the Bluetooth driver in some other way. For example, you can type the model name of your Qualcomm Atheros in the search box on Google and find the driver. But there is no guarantee that the driver found and downloaded is compatible with your PC or that it is trust-worthy. So, it is highly suggested that you download drivers from the manufacturer website.
1) Go to the support website of the manufacture of your PC. We are using ASUS as an example. Then locate the support page of your PC by entering the model of your product.
2) Then go to drivers section. (The name of the section could be different on different manufacturers’ websites.) You will be asked to select what operating system that you are using (we are going Windows 10 64-bit), and then a list of device drivers will be shown. Scroll down a little to choose Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth driver under Bluetooth category. Then hit the Global button to get it downloaded.
Note: If your PC is rather old and there is no such Bluetooth driver that you can find for Windows 10, it is suggested that you give the latest version of driver that you can find a try, be it Windows 8.1, Windows 8, or Windows 7. Then try install the driver in compatibility mode.
3) Now press Windows key and X at the same time and choose Device Manager.
4) Then locate and expand category Bluetooth. Right click the Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth driver you have and choose Uninstall.
5) When prompted with the following notification, tick the box for Delete the driver software for this device and then hit OK to continue.
6) When the uninstall finishes, restart your computer.
7) Now, go to the folder where you store the setup file of the Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth driver, double the setup file and run the installation as instructed.
8) When the install finishes, reboot your computer for the change to take effect.
If the above methods don’t help, you might need to try reinstall the driver by yourself.
1) You need to download compatible Bluetooth driver for your PC from the Internet first.
2) When the download completes, press Windows key and X at the same time and choose Device Manager.
3) Locate and expand category Bluetooth. Right click the Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth driver you have and choose Update Driver Software.
4) Choose Browse my computer for driver software.
5) Choose Let me pick from a list of the drivers on my computer.
6) Un-tick the box for Show compatible hardware. Then you should be able to see Qualcomm Atheros driver option on the left. On the right, choose one of the drivers listed. We go with Qualcomm Atheros AR3011 Bluetooth 3.0. You need to try them one by one by yourself to select the right one for your PC. When done picking, click Next to continue.
7) Then follow the instructions on screen to get your Qualcomm Atheros Bluetooth drive installed.
If installing the driver using compatibility mode and reinstall the driver didn’t help, you might need to consider updating the current driver. But as mentioned above, you might find it very challenging to find the correct driver for your PC.
Why not have a try at Driver Easy, a driver updater that automatically detects, downloads and installs device drivers automatically. You don’t need to worry about not getting the appropriate drivers or even malicious drivers from phishy websites. With Driver Easy, you are well secured and protected.
Moreover, it is very easy to use. Just click the Scan Now button for Driver Easy to help you with the scan for missing or outdated drivers;
Then the Update button next to the driver you need to update.
Compare with the above methods, how easy is this?
If you are looking for more, such as features like driver restore and driver backup, as well as professional technician support for your driver problems, by all means, have a try at the professional version of Driver Easy. If you are not satisfied with it, just ask for a refund thirty days within the purchase.