An error message “Invalid value for registry” shows up on the screen when the Windows 10 users are trying to open photos. We understand that it is quite annoying because this error blocks you from seeing the photos. Fortunately, we have the solutions in this post. We will show you how to fix “invalid value for registry” error when opening photos on Windows 10.
- 2 Ways to Transfer Photos from iPhone to Your Computer. Easily!
- How to Trim Videos with Photos on Windows 10
- Fix iPhone doesn’t show up in Windows 10 File Explorer
Methods to Fix“Invalid value for registry” Error When Opening Photos on Windows 10
Step 1. Press Windows key + R key together to open Run box. Then type regedit in the box and hit Enter to open Registry Editor window. Click Yes when prompted by User Account Control.
Step 2. On Registry Editor window, head to:
Step 3. Scroll down on Families dialog, find and expand Microsoft.Windows.Photos….. folder. In this folder you might find 8 Microsoft.Windows.Photos entries, it means that the outdated registry keys have been left. Delete the 4 entries with older version number.
Note: If you find 4 entries in total, delete 2 of them with older version number.
As for deleting the entries in Registry Editor window, it’s not such easy as just clicking on it to delete. Firstly you should give your account the right to do that.
Follow the steps here:
1) Right-click on the older version entry and click Permissions…
2) Click Advanced.
3) Click Change. Then enter you account name in the box and click Check Names. Click OK.
4) It will be back on the previous window. Tick on Replace owner on subcontainers and objects. Then click Apply > OK.
5) Highlight the account you add just before. Then tick the Allow box of Full Control. Click Apply > OK.
Now you have own the right to delete the entry you set permission. Set the permission by the same steps for each old version entry and then delete them.
You should be able to view your pictures now after trying one of the methods above. If you have other methods to solve the problem that we haven’t put in the list above, you can share in the comments box and we will add it in the post later on.
For queries or suggestions, feel free to drop in the comment box below. Thank you for reading.