We got a report that a Surface Pen cannot work on the Surface Pro 4 device. Do you have the same problem too? Check on the solutions below to fix Surface Pen error.
- Install Marvell Avastar Wireless-AC Network Controller Driver on Surface
- Solutions for Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Touch Screen Not Working
- Surface Keyboard Not Working
How to Fix Surface Pro 4 Pen Not Working Error
If you are one of them, not to worry. Here are four fixes you can try to fix this problem:
Method 1: Troubleshoot the battery
You cannot use your Surface Pen if its battery is misplaced or runs out. You can try reinserting or replacing the battery of your Surface Pen to see if this brings it back. To do so:
1) Remove the cap of your Surface Pen and then take out the battery.
2) Insert the battery back and put the cap back on.
3) Try your Surface Pen on your Surface Pro 4 and see if the problem resolves.
4) If it doesn’t, replace the battery with a new AAAA battery.
5) Try the Pen again and see if it works.
Method 2: Update your Surface Pen driver
You may not be able to use your Surface Pen if you are using a wrong driver or it is out of date. You can update your Surface Pen driver manually or, if you’re not confident playing around with drivers, you can do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Diver Easy can automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for it. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing.
You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to a flagged Surface Pen driver to automatically download and install the correct version of this driver (you can do this with the FREE version). Or click the Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click the Update All).
4) Restart your computer and check to see if the problem is resolved.
Method 3: Re-pair your devices
Your Surface Pen connects to your Surface Pro 4 via Bluetooth and it will stop working if the Bluetooth connection is defective. Re-pairing your Pen and your tablet can help you rebuild the connection:
1) Open Settings.
2) Select Devices.
3) Make sure the Bluetooth is on. Then select Surface Pen in the device list and select Remove device.
4) Press down and hold the top of your Surface Pen for around 7 seconds. The light next to the Pen clip would flash if you are using an old model of Surface Pen. Or the light on the flat side would glow white if you are using a new model. Both mean your Surface Pro 4 has discovered your Surface Pen.
5) In the Bluetooth settings on your tablet, select Surface Pen, and then select Pair.
6) Now you have re-paired your Pen and your tablet. Try and see if the Pen is usable.
Method 4: Perform a two-button shutdown
It is possible that there are corruption problems on your Surface Pro 4 that disable your Surface Pen. A complete reboot of your Tablet can be effective for clearing those corruption problems. A two-button shutdown can shut your Surface Pro 4 down completely. You can try fixing your Surface Pen by performing a two-button shutdown and then restarting your device.
1) Press and hold the power button of your Surface Pro 4 for about 30 seconds and then release it.
2) Press and hold the power button and the volume up (+) button together for about 15 seconds. (Please do NOT let go when you see a logo pop up on the screen.)
3) Wait for over 10 seconds.
4) Start your device and check if your Surface Pen works.
If the methods above cannot help you, you may need to consider your problem as a hardware problem. In this case, you may need to contact Microsoft support. They can offer you any further assistance you need.
- How to Fix “A Network Change Was Detected” Error
- Methods to Fix Network Cable Unplugged Error in Windows
- Easy Methods to Connect and Sync Xbox One Controller
That’s it! After following the methods above, we hope the Surface Pen can work properly now. If you have any questions about the methods, feel free to contact us. Thank you for reading, Folks!