Blue Screen error is an error that commonly happens on Windows computer. There are so many types and causes of this error. One of them is VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE(atikmpag.sys) as you see on the image above. It happens if you are using AMD or ATI graphics card on your computer. It can appear as atikmpag.sys instead of atikmdag.sys in the error. But, those two are basically similar.
We really understand how annoying it is to have blue screen of death error in your computer. Therefore, there are three methods that we will discuss in this post in order to fix error atikmpag.sys on Windows 10. Take a look at the solutions below.
What is VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE error?
TDR stands for Timeout, Detection, and Recovery components in Windows. It’s supposed to be there to help stop BSODs by resetting the GPU and/or driver when there’s an problem of long delay. If problems happen too many times in a row, a blue screen of death occurs.
How do I fix VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE error (atikmpag.sys)?
If your PC fail to reset the display driver and recover from a timeout, a Video_TDR_Failure blue screen would occur. You can update your chipset and display card driver to fix it:
Manual driver update – You can update your chipset and display card drivers manually by going to the device manufactures’ website and searching for the most recent correct drivers. Note that if the Video_ TDR_Failure error happens on your laptop, you should go to the laptop manufacturer for the display card and chipset driver. If you don’t have the time, patience or computer skills to update your drivers manually, you can always do it automatically with Driver Easy.
Automatic driver update – Driver Easy will automatically recognize your system and find the correct drivers for both your chipset and your AMD video card. You don’t need to know exactly what system your computer is running or who all the manufacturers are, you don’t need to risk downloading and installing the wrong driver, and you don’t need to worry about making a mistake when installing. You can update your drivers automatically with either the FREE or the Pro version of Driver Easy. But with the Pro version it takes just 2 clicks (and you get full support and a 30-day money back guarantee):
1) Download and install Driver Easy.
2) Run Driver Easy and click the Scan Now button. Driver Easy will then scan your computer and detect any problem drivers.
3) Click the Update button next to your flagged AMD video card (or your chipset) to automatically download and install the correct version of it (you can do this with the FREE version).
Or click Update All to automatically download and install the correct version of all the drivers that are missing or out of date on your system (this requires the Pro version – you’ll be prompted to upgrade when you click Update All).
IMPORTANT: You need to have the latest version of Intel chipset driver and ATI/AMD graphics card driver in your computer. You can download them for free with Driver Easy first.
1) Go to Safe Mode in Windows 10.
2) Go to Device Manager. Expand Display adapters. Right-click AMD/ATI device and click Uninstall.
3) Click OK.
4) Reboot your computer into the normal mode. Then install the latest version of Intel chipset driver for your computer.
5) Reboot your computer again.
6) Try installing the latest version of the ATI/AMD device driver on your computer again.
If you’ve tried the methods above but to no avail, you may need to try replace the file in atikmpag.sys or atikmdag.sys, the error code showing in the blue screen of death error, with a new, problem-free one.
Note: When you follow the instructions below, remember to change accordingly from atikmdag.sys to atikmpag.sys according to your error code.
1) Download the latest version of ATI/AMD graphics card driver first. You can do so with Driver Easy.
2) Follow the path C:WindowsSystem32drivers and locate the atikmdag.sys (or atikmpag.sys) file. Rename it as atikmdag.sys.old (or atikmpag.sys.old).
3) Go to ATI directory (Usually in C:ATI) and find the file atikmdag.sy_ or atikmpag.sy_.
Copy the file to your desktop.
If you can’t find it in this folder, try typing the name of the file into the search box in the Start panel.
3) On your keyboard, press the Windows logo key. Type cmd and click Command Prompt.
4) Type chdir desktop and press Enter to change the directory to your Desktop.
5) Type expand.exe atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and press Enter.
Or, type in expand -r atikmdag.sy_ atikmdag.sys and press Enter.
6) When the expansion is complete, copy the new atikmdag.sys file from your Desktop to C:WindowsSystem32Drivers.
7) Restart your computer and the problem should be resolved.
So, how was the atikmpag.sys error? Has it permanently disappeared? We hope you won’t see the atikmpage.sys error again in your PC. If you still see the error, we suggest you to check the graphics card device or contact the technical support.
If you happen to have questions or suggestions, feel free to contact us. Thank you for reading!
- How To Fix Video Upside Down Problem on ASUS Laptop
- Kernel Security Check Failure Windows 10 Error – How To Fix
- Fix Video Controller Driver Problem in Windows 10. Easily!